Friday, May 25, 2012

Dear Compression Socks,

Wow. What can I say? I always wanted to wear knee high socks, but I had never worked up the nerve to actually do it. It takes a certain kind of person to pull off knee highs. Athletes, school girls, strippers, skinny legged luckies (coining that term!). Those types of chicks can pull it off. I never could... until now.

I guess this means I fall in the category of 'athlete', because I am not a school girl, stripper, or skinny legged lucky. I first became aware of compression socks at the Run, Forrest, Run 5K. I saw all these runners wearing knee high socks on and I immediately wanted a pair for myself. I wasn't even aware that they served a purpose- I just thought they looked fun!

So I googled 'knee high running socks'. Ha. Little did I know. They weren't just knee highs, they were scientifically designed compression socks meant to keep blood flowing. Apparently, these stockings were first designed for diabetics. They're good for helping circulation.

Rumor on the net was that these cutie socks would not only make me 50% sexier, they would also make me run faster, better, stronger, longer. I was skeptical of their powers, but I plunked down $38 bucks for a bright pink pair, because HEY worse comes to worst? They're still really cute.

Welll. WELL. They are miracles. I've worn them twice now. The first time, I ran 3 miles and didn't feel tired afterwards.

Today? I ran 2 miles at my fastest time ever (2.18 Miles @ 9:37/mile) but you know what? I didn't feel like I was anywhere near hitting my wall. These socks really work!

So, my dear compression socks, I would like to say thank you. Thank you for taking my running to a whole new level, and for finally giving me a legitimate reason to wear knee highs for the rest of my adult life.

No comments:

Post a Comment